Browse through our blog posts to find out what life is like at Hoe Grange Holidays along with some great ideas for days out in the Peak District.
The recent snow is disappearing fast from the Derbyshire hills and whilst we are fairly quiet it is time for a deep Spring clean for our cosy cabins.
snow at Hoe Grange
People often think that using environmentally friendly cleaning products and methods will be ineffective - not true! You can soon add a sparkle to your Spring cleaning without adding to the ozone layer - simply follow our Top 10 Eco Cleaning Tips.
The Fantastic Four eco cleaning essentials
Before you start raid your cupboards for the "Fantastic Four" eco cleaning essentials -- vinegar, salt, lemon juice, and baking soda -- they can make your household tasks less complicated, easier on you and more importantly easier on the environment.
Our Top 10 Eco Cleaning Tips
1. Sparkling sinks - sprinkle good old fashioned bicarbonate of soda over the base of the sink and add some white vinegar - watch the white fizzing bubbles do their magic - use the washing up brush to scrub the sink and leave for 10 minutes. Simply rinse off with boiling water. Great for getting rid of nasty drain smells too.
2. Brush and bake - get to grips with oven cleaning without using extra elbow grease! Brush oven surfaces to loosen any burnt on dirt. Add some bicarbonate of soda to hot water in a shallow dish and place in the bottom of the oven. Close the door and bake at a low heat for approximately 1 hour. The residual dirt should have peeled away without any effort. If there are any stubborn stains left try scrubbing with a paste of bicarb and white vinegar.
3. Toilet troubles - for stained toilets sprinkle neat borax into the bowl and allow to soak. Follow up with a good scrub with the toilet brush. Adding a drop of tea tree oil will freshen up and disinfect.
4. Scouring solution - make your own scouring powder by mixing 2 parts bicarbonate of soda to 1 part of soda crystals. apply to stubborn stains with a damp microfibre cloth. Store in a clearly labelled airtight jar.
5. Limescale free - do you dislike floating flakes of limescale in your tea or coffee? Descale the kettle by boiling a solution of water and white vinegar - extremely effective and so easy!
6. Clear views - wipe down windows with a solution of white vinegar and water, polish off with a microfibre cloth - we use this method in our log cabins so you can sit back and enjoy the views!
7. Lemon fresh - give the inside of your microwave a makeover. Simply fill a small bowl with water, add half a lemon and microwave on full power for 1 or 2 minutes. The water vapour and steam will loosen dirt and grim so that it wipes off easily and you get the added bonus of a fresh zingy lemon smell.
8. Polished to perfection - just mix 2 parts olive or jojoba oil with 1 part lemon juice and apply it to your furniture using a soft cloth. The combination gives your wood furniture a nice smell and a sparkling shine.
9. Removing rings - When a hot serving dish or glass of water has marked the surface of a wooden table, you can quickly get rid of ring by making a thin paste of salad oil or lemon oil and salt. Simply wipe the paste on, then lightly buff the area as you wipe it off with a soft cloth.
10. Buff up brass - Do you have tarnished copper or brass antiques? Bring back the shine without doing any damage by using salt and vinegar and adding one more ingredient from your kitchen cupboard - flour. Make a paste using equal quantities of all three ingredients; rub the paste onto the brass or copper item with a soft cloth. Cover the entire surface and let the whole thing dry out, this will take about an hour. Wipe off the dried paste with a clean, soft cloth. Lemon can also be used for lightly tarnished brass or copper pieces. Slice one lemon and dip it in salt, then rub the item with the salted lemon. Afterwards rinse and dry thoroughly.
Not only will you be saving the environment, but using eco friendly cleaning materials to make your own cleaning products saves money too.
Hope you have found our Top 10 Eco-cleaning Tips useful and are now inspired to get to grips with your own Spring cleaning.
What a wonderful find. As our first experience of needing accessible accommodation we could not have wished for better. Beautiful well equipped lodges in lovely surroundings. We stayed in both... read more
Lovely place to holiday near to interesting locations and easy access to the High Peak trail and Carsington Water. Part of a working farm with fresh produce to enjoy during... read more
We love this place. Very wheelchair friendly, really well equipped and comfortable, with easy access by car to lots of places of interest particularly Crich Tramway Village, Chatsworth, Bakewell and... read more
We stayed in Rainster cabin for a long weekend 6 th to 9 th September. This was my 5 th visit to the amazing Hoe Grange. I had visited before... read more
Arrived and was shown to our pod, fantastic location and the pod was very good indeed plus we had home made bread and milk and tea and coffee. A... read more
We've just returned from our second visit to Hoe Grange. The suggested riding routes with stunning scenery were enjoyed by my daughter and I while the menfolk were delighted with... read more
We stayed for a night in one of the cabins . The cabin was spotless and very well equipped , lots of extra touches were added like fresh eggs and... read more
Second visit to the accessible holiday cabins at Hoe Grange. David and Felicity were as helpful and friendly as ever. We had a welcome pack of freshly baked bread, butter,... read more
lovely surroundings real farm country with chickens paying you a visit nice decking area to chill at the end of the day accommodation very good plenty to do nearby... read more
A beautiful place to stay! Amazingly run family business! Everyone were very welcoming, friendly and cozy! The skylark pod we stayed in was very clean, cozy and well equipped! The... read more
What can I say?
We have just returned from a family weekend staying in Daisybank cabin and the Skylark pod.
It was our first trip away with my... read more
We wanted a complete break and some peace and quiet and this was perfect. The caravan was secluded with beautiful views over the countryside. Everything was spotlessly clean and well... read more
Felicity and David made us feel very welcome right from our booking. The pods are well equipped and spotlessly clean. The area is very peaceful with great views and we... read more
For the second year running, we have had a great family holiday at Hoe Grange. We had one cabin for the week, for two sisters and our elderly wheelchair-using... read more
It's been three years since we last visited but once we arrived it certainly didn't feel like it!
We stayed in Hipley again which had had a refurbished wet... read more
We stayed in the Skylark pod last October (2018) and had a lovely time. There was homemade, rustic goods (bread, biscuits etc) when we arrived. Felicity and David who run... read more
On arriving at Hoe Grange in a downpour, we doubted if we’d made the right decision to go glamping, but after the warm welcome from David and a quick tour,... read more
We have just returned from a short stay in one of the pods on site at Hoe Grange Holidays. We couldn’t recommend them enough. The pod has everything you could... read more
We spent four nights at Hoe Grange and had a lovely time. The location is fantastic and right next to the High Peak Trail. The cabin was very clean and... read more
Recently spent a week in "Pinder" and had a lovely time. The location is stunning - the site is nestled in a beautiful valley on the edge of the Peaks... read more
We had a lovely time staying in one of the incredibly well equipped pods. I bought my pony along and we had some great rides on the high peak trail.... read more
What a lovely weekend away! We stayed in the lovely gypsy caravan, which was a wonderful and really unique experience. We took along our two horses, who also had a... read more
We stayed in Pinder cabin and had a lovely stay, the cabin was spacious and comfortable, nice and warm after cold days out. The children loved meeting the animals and... read more
Stayed last week, from 6th to 13th September in the log cabin called Hipley. This was amazing, it was our first visit but certainly not our last. Gold standard disability... read more
Another great holiday at Hoe Grange - such a great place for us all to holiday as a family - this time with a baby, a 3 yr old, a... read more
Myself and my sister travelled to Costa Rica and Panama via Viva Holidays Ltd. The holiday was exceptional and one to be treasured forever. Andrew at Viva Holidays... read more
Loved every minute of our stay, and so did the family and friends that came to stay. Excellent facilities in our cosy Hipley log cabin. By far the best... read more
We stayed in Skylark, one of the two glamping pods available at Hoe Grange in February 2020.
Felicity & David welcomed us when we arrived to show us around... read more