Passionate about the Peak District!
At Hoe Grange our environment is very precious, with beautiful unspoilt views of the stunning Derbyshire Peak District, and no noise or light pollution. Ever mindful of preserving our own environment and the need to minimise our impact on the landscape, we use renewable energies and actively encourage guests to leave a lighter carbon footprint whilst staying on holiday in our eco friendly log cabins.
Hoe Grange Holidays is proud to be have won the Green Tourism GoldStar in 2014, and the National Visit England Silver Award for Sustainable Tourism in 2012 and 2013. We were also finalists in the Climate Change Week Awards and the British Farming Awards in 2014. We are once again finalists in the Visit England Awards for Excellence 2016 in the Sustainable Tourism category – wish us luck for 8th March!
This means you can be assured we are working very hard to tackle climate change and reduce our carbon footprint. Why not offset your carbon footprint using the Climate Care calculator?
Hoe Grange Holidays is proud to offer the following initiatives:
- water miles are worse than food miles, so Hoe Grange water is drawn direct from our very own borehole! No need for plastic bottles and the problems they can cause – our water is clear and clean with nothing added! A pure taste of Derbyshire
- the cosy cabins are centrally heated using latest ground source heating technology, helping to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels
- the water in two cabins is heated using a renewable air source system
- there is a sun-tracking photovoltaic solar system and a roof mounted solar system providing a total of 14 kw of solar power
- a 10kw wind turbine also contributes to the electricity needs of the cabins
- a biomass boiler heats the farmhouse and laundry
- by combining the above renewable technologies we have reduced our carbon footprint by 45 tonnes (over 80%)
- natural sheep wool insulation and advanced double glazing prevents excess heat loss
- all cabins are equipped with environmentally friendly, phosphate and chlorine free cleaning materials and detergents
- whenever practical, bed linen and towels are dried on the line outside, rather than in the tumble dryer
- low energy light bulbs are used where possible and the outside lights have PIR’s – we ask guests to turn off all lights and appliances before going out
- ‘A’ rated energy efficient appliances installed
- easy to use recycling bins and composting facilities provided in each cabin
- our waste management procedures have reduced our landfill to zero
- Hoe Grange Farm has achieved both UELS (Uplands Entry Level Stewardship) and the Peak District Environmental Quality Mark for environmentally managing our special landscape to sustain the flora, wildlife and archaeology
- public transport is limited – don’t let that daunt you! We are willing to arrange pick up for guests from local stations and bus stops and offer a 10% discount for anyone arriving on foot, on horseback or by bicycle
Hoe Grange Holidays has received a Gold Award from the Green Tourism and is in the top 20 green businesses in the UK! Members have to meet rigorous minimal standards across a wide range of environmental factors, from efficient lighting and heating, to nature conservation, renewable energy, use of local produce and community involvement.
Hoe Grange Holidays are proud to have been awarded the prestigious Peak District Environmental Quality Mark for our commitment to the improvement and conservation of the local Peak District environment. This award is reviewed annually and we are continually striving to improve.
In celebration of our 10th anniversary we are supporting the charity Canine Partners and have a series of events planned for 2016 to raise £5,000 to buy and train a an assistance puppy! Please help us make a difference by making a donation or attending one of our events featured on our Facebook page.
Hoe Grange Holidays continues to support the Friends of the Peak District encouraging guests to help protect the landscape of the Peak District National Park that they enjoy whilst staying in the area. Thank you to our guests having so far donated over £200.
Hoe Grange Holidays is a member of Responsible Travel, who provide sustainable holidays for those who’ve had enough of mass tourism. It’s all about discovering local cultures, and benefiting local communities, whilst minimising the impact on the environment.
Read the GreenTraveller review by Florence Fortnam of our cosy cabins – “Hoe Grange is an inspiring place, where traditional Peak District farming rubs shoulders with cutting-edge green technology. David and Felicity are leading the way on the green accommodation scene and have tons of awards to their name. You couldn’t be better placed for an activity break, and everyone is catered for – including the horse”.
We are also featured in the Bradt Slow Travel guide to The Peak District which celebrates our special region and is an invaluable source of information for local produce, where to stay and travel tips. Read our blog for more information and get your discount code.
Hoe Grange Holidays is a member of It’s a Green Green World – eco-friendly hospitality destinations, bringing together everybody who believes travellers should actively benefit the places they visit, sharing their prosperity with the hosting communities, and supporting those who provide sustainable services and accommodation.
To give you extra confidence that you are booking quality accommodation which will meet your specific needs, Hoe Grange has achieved Quality in Tourism certification for both the Welcome Walkers and Welcome Cyclists schemes. We provide washing and drying facilities for wet outdoor clothes, information on local routes and secure bike storage.We hope our accreditations demonstrate that we are a trustworthy green holiday choice making significant efforts to reduce our environmental impact – all you need to do is relax and have fun!
Help us to be more sustainable by sending comments or suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org.