Browse through our blog posts to find out what life is like at Hoe Grange Holidays along with some great ideas for hobbies and days out in the Peak District.
Christmas shopping is simple when you know what to buy, but it can be a nightmare when you are lacking ideas!
We #LoveLocal and are sure you will too, so to help you get creative I have put together some gorgeous gift ideas inspired by our beautiful Peak District - things that are produced locally here in the Derbyshire hills, some of which are utterly unique!
Top 10 Christmas gifts
1. Surprise the love of your life with a real gem of a gift, a unique Blue John stone - a word exclusive semi precious mineral that can only be found within the Blue John Cavern located in Castleton, Derbyshire in the Peak District National Park. The stone itself features striking purple, blue and yellow banded fluorspar which was first mined during the Roman Times and has since become one of the world’s rarest minerals. Each piece of stone is unique and varies in colours and veins and local jewellery makers C.W. Sellors in Ashbourne create a huge range of jewellry for every budget, from simple designs to stunning statement pieces.
2. Give her a warm hug. A Hugget is so cosy - a hug and a jacket in one, designed and produced locally by Katie who wanted something to keep her warm and cosy on a long flight, but would also enable her to look smart and professional for business - you'll love the rich dye colours of her Peak Collection inspired by our colourful landscape.
3. Mighty oaks from little acorns grow! Full Grown is a revolutionary concept is taking place just a few miles from Hoe Grange. Creative furniture designer Gavin Munro, is growing trees directly into useful shapes to create stunning tables, chairs, lampshades and mirrors. Gavin likens the concept to 3D printing but which is organic and uses air, soil and sunshine as its source materials. By training and pruning young tree branches as they grow over specially made formers the designs take shape gradually over several years - a slow process but I think you'll agree an amazing end product.
4. Cheers! Celebrate Christmas with a rich and warming mulled Ruby Port from Linday's Still Room at Turnditch - again not far from Hoe Grange. A tasty tipple infused with freshly squeezed orange and it's zest, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and mace.
5. Why not create a hamper, ideal for food lovers! Put together your mulled port with some Peakland Blue, a delicious creamy blue veined cheese made in the Parish of Hartington, some Miller's Damsels biscuits baked in Ashbourne and some gorgeous cranberry and caramelised red onion chutney from Charlie's Country Garden.
6. For the garden perhaps a sculpture or a gate. Dave Turner is a traditionally trained artist/blacksmith and although he still works using centuries-old techniques the design doesn't have to be! Sometimes a traditional design can look right ... sometimes contemporary looks stunning.
7. Everybody loves to watch a good Disney film at Christmas. If Bambi is your favorite then why not have him round for dinner. Best venison is available from the Chatsworth farm shop, This is no Micky Mouse operation, with 1000's of locally sourced products to make your mouth water.
8. A little reminder of the Peak District landscape in your living room. Enjoy gazing over a sunny country scene even in the cold dark winter with one of Roger Allen's water colour landscape paintings. so detailed you can smell the grass!
9. Keep calm and drink more beer!! inspired by trips to India Thornbridge brewery's Jaipur is an excellent option, and if your in a hurry to "Keep calm" try the frighteningly powerful Jaipur X, at a leg buckling 10% you will certainly get in the mood to party in double quick time!
10. And last but by no means least, buy your loved one a Hoe Grange Holidays voucher to come and stay next year and share are special place. You can relax in the hot tub, de-stress in the sauna. You could also visit all the fabulous businesses mentioned in this blog and perhaps get ahead by starting next years Christmas shopping early!
Derbyshire has a wealth of artisan producers, so for further inspiration there are lots more interesting and unusual ideas from Made in Derbyshire and Peak District Environmental Quality Mark businesses - happy shopping!
Don't forget to order your 2016 calender featuring Hoe Grange's menagerie of animals. Help support 12 fantastic charities, all helping the lives of disabled people across the country! ORDER NOW!
Loved every minute of our stay, and so did the family and friends that came to stay. Excellent facilities in our cosy Hipley log cabin. By far the best... read more
We stayed in Rainster cabin for a long weekend 6 th to 9 th September. This was my 5 th visit to the amazing Hoe Grange. I had visited before... read more
What a lovely weekend away! We stayed in the lovely gypsy caravan, which was a wonderful and really unique experience. We took along our two horses, who also had a... read more
A beautiful place to stay! Amazingly run family business! Everyone were very welcoming, friendly and cozy! The skylark pod we stayed in was very clean, cozy and well equipped! The... read more
It's been three years since we last visited but once we arrived it certainly didn't feel like it!
We stayed in Hipley again which had had a refurbished wet... read more
What can I say?
We have just returned from a family weekend staying in Daisybank cabin and the Skylark pod.
It was our first trip away with my... read more
Stayed last week, from 6th to 13th September in the log cabin called Hipley. This was amazing, it was our first visit but certainly not our last. Gold standard disability... read more
We wanted a complete break and some peace and quiet and this was perfect. The caravan was secluded with beautiful views over the countryside. Everything was spotlessly clean and well... read more
We spent four nights at Hoe Grange and had a lovely time. The location is fantastic and right next to the High Peak Trail. The cabin was very clean and... read more
We had a lovely time staying in one of the incredibly well equipped pods. I bought my pony along and we had some great rides on the high peak trail.... read more
For the second year running, we have had a great family holiday at Hoe Grange. We had one cabin for the week, for two sisters and our elderly wheelchair-using... read more
Recently spent a week in "Pinder" and had a lovely time. The location is stunning - the site is nestled in a beautiful valley on the edge of the Peaks... read more
We stayed in the Skylark pod last October (2018) and had a lovely time. There was homemade, rustic goods (bread, biscuits etc) when we arrived. Felicity and David who run... read more
Second visit to the accessible holiday cabins at Hoe Grange. David and Felicity were as helpful and friendly as ever. We had a welcome pack of freshly baked bread, butter,... read more
We've just returned from our second visit to Hoe Grange. The suggested riding routes with stunning scenery were enjoyed by my daughter and I while the menfolk were delighted with... read more
We love this place. Very wheelchair friendly, really well equipped and comfortable, with easy access by car to lots of places of interest particularly Crich Tramway Village, Chatsworth, Bakewell and... read more
Myself and my sister travelled to Costa Rica and Panama via Viva Holidays Ltd. The holiday was exceptional and one to be treasured forever. Andrew at Viva Holidays... read more
Another great holiday at Hoe Grange - such a great place for us all to holiday as a family - this time with a baby, a 3 yr old, a... read more
Lovely place to holiday near to interesting locations and easy access to the High Peak trail and Carsington Water. Part of a working farm with fresh produce to enjoy during... read more
Arrived and was shown to our pod, fantastic location and the pod was very good indeed plus we had home made bread and milk and tea and coffee. A... read more
lovely surroundings real farm country with chickens paying you a visit nice decking area to chill at the end of the day accommodation very good plenty to do nearby... read more
We have just returned from a short stay in one of the pods on site at Hoe Grange Holidays. We couldn’t recommend them enough. The pod has everything you could... read more
On arriving at Hoe Grange in a downpour, we doubted if we’d made the right decision to go glamping, but after the warm welcome from David and a quick tour,... read more
We stayed in Pinder cabin and had a lovely stay, the cabin was spacious and comfortable, nice and warm after cold days out. The children loved meeting the animals and... read more