Browse through our blog posts to find out what life is like at Hoe Grange Holidays along with some great ideas for days out in the Peak District.
Christmas shopping is simple when you know what to buy, but it can be a nightmare when you are lacking ideas!
We #LoveLocal and are sure you will too, so to help you get creative I have put together some gorgeous gift ideas inspired by our beautiful Peak District - things that are produced locally here in the Derbyshire hills, some of which are utterly unique!
Top 10 Christmas gifts
1. Surprise the love of your life with a real gem of a gift, a unique Blue John stone - a word exclusive semi precious mineral that can only be found within the Blue John Cavern located in Castleton, Derbyshire in the Peak District National Park. The stone itself features striking purple, blue and yellow banded fluorspar which was first mined during the Roman Times and has since become one of the world’s rarest minerals. Each piece of stone is unique and varies in colours and veins and local jewellery makers C.W. Sellors in Ashbourne create a huge range of jewellry for every budget, from simple designs to stunning statement pieces.
2. Give her a warm hug. A Hugget is so cosy - a hug and a jacket in one, designed and produced locally by Katie who wanted something to keep her warm and cosy on a long flight, but would also enable her to look smart and professional for business - you'll love the rich dye colours of her Peak Collection inspired by our colourful landscape.
3. Mighty oaks from little acorns grow! Full Grown is a revolutionary concept is taking place just a few miles from Hoe Grange. Creative furniture designer Gavin Munro, is growing trees directly into useful shapes to create stunning tables, chairs, lampshades and mirrors. Gavin likens the concept to 3D printing but which is organic and uses air, soil and sunshine as its source materials. By training and pruning young tree branches as they grow over specially made formers the designs take shape gradually over several years - a slow process but I think you'll agree an amazing end product.
4. Cheers! Celebrate Christmas with a rich and warming mulled Ruby Port from Linday's Still Room at Turnditch - again not far from Hoe Grange. A tasty tipple infused with freshly squeezed orange and it's zest, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and mace.
5. Why not create a hamper, ideal for food lovers! Put together your mulled port with some Peakland Blue, a delicious creamy blue veined cheese made in the Parish of Hartington, some Miller's Damsels biscuits baked in Ashbourne and some gorgeous cranberry and caramelised red onion chutney from Charlie's Country Garden.
6. For the garden perhaps a sculpture or a gate. Dave Turner is a traditionally trained artist/blacksmith and although he still works using centuries-old techniques the design doesn't have to be! Sometimes a traditional design can look right ... sometimes contemporary looks stunning.
7. Everybody loves to watch a good Disney film at Christmas. If Bambi is your favorite then why not have him round for dinner. Best venison is available from the Chatsworth farm shop, This is no Micky Mouse operation, with 1000's of locally sourced products to make your mouth water.
8. A little reminder of the Peak District landscape in your living room. Enjoy gazing over a sunny country scene even in the cold dark winter with one of Roger Allen's water colour landscape paintings. so detailed you can smell the grass!
9. Keep calm and drink more beer!! inspired by trips to India Thornbridge brewery's Jaipur is an excellent option, and if your in a hurry to "Keep calm" try the frighteningly powerful Jaipur X, at a leg buckling 10% you will certainly get in the mood to party in double quick time!
10. And last but by no means least, buy your loved one a Hoe Grange Holidays voucher to come and stay next year and share are special place. You can relax in the hot tub, de-stress in the sauna. You could also visit all the fabulous businesses mentioned in this blog and perhaps get ahead by starting next years Christmas shopping early!
Derbyshire has a wealth of artisan producers, so for further inspiration there are lots more interesting and unusual ideas from Made in Derbyshire and Peak District Environmental Quality Mark businesses - happy shopping!
Don't forget to order your 2016 calender featuring Hoe Grange's menagerie of animals. Help support 12 fantastic charities, all helping the lives of disabled people across the country! ORDER NOW!
What a lovely weekend away! We stayed in the lovely gypsy caravan, which was a wonderful and really unique experience. We took along our two horses, who also had a... read more
We love this place. Very wheelchair friendly, really well equipped and comfortable, with easy access by car to lots of places of interest particularly Crich Tramway Village, Chatsworth, Bakewell and... read more
Second visit to the accessible holiday cabins at Hoe Grange. David and Felicity were as helpful and friendly as ever. We had a welcome pack of freshly baked bread, butter,... read more